Do you feel like you’re running out of space?
Items can clutter your home or business if you don’t have anywhere to put them. You’re looking for a solution — and self-storage might be the perfect answer.
But what is self-storage? At Store More Self Storage, we’re here to answer that question. We’ve put together this basic guide to help you get started.
Self-storage involves renting an individual unit to house a variety of items. Built in a storage facility, these storage units come in a wide range of sizes, from relatively small to incredibly large. Storage units are available for both short- and long-term rentals, giving you the flexibility to use them for as long as you need.
When you rent a unit, it’ll be yours for as long as you pay for it! You’ll get a key to have easy access to the storage unit. You can store whatever you want, take things out as needed, and access the storage space anytime. No one else will have access to your individual unit, which means you can worry less about your belongings’ security.
What Can You Store?
You can store just about anything in your self-storage unit! Popular items include furniture, clothes, old electronics, and equipment.
Self-storage units are incredibly flexible and perfect for a range of needs. That said, you shouldn’t store certain items in them. These include:
- Flammable or otherwise dangerous items
- Perishable items
- Live plants or animals
- Illegal items
Why Use Self-Storage?
Most people use self-storage to cut down on clutter and free up space in their homes or businesses. By renting one, you can keep precious items instead of selling them — without worrying about them taking up too much room.
Using a storage facility also comes with several additional advantages:
- Security: Most storage facilities have extensive security measures to protect your belongings. This means you won’t have to worry as much about items being stolen or damaged.
- Additional Services: Many storage companies may offer additional services to assist you. Some of these services include packing assistance, transporting items, and installing shelving.
- Climate Control: Storage facilities may offer climate-controlled units. Extreme temperatures can damage certain items. This means that it might not be safe to store them in your basement or loft. By using a climate-controlled facility, you can protect your items from damage.
How to Choose a Storage Company
You may no longer be wondering, “what is self-storage,” but you still need to get started. The first step? Find the right self-storage company.
You’ll want to explore your storage options carefully. Choosing the right storage company can have a huge effect on your experience and the safety of your belongings.
When choosing a storage facility, keep a couple of things in mind:
- Does the facility meet SSA standards? The SSA — or Self Storage Association — is the company that sets the standards for storage facilities. Facilities that are part of the SSA, therefore, will naturally have higher-quality storage options.
- What have other clients said? Check out testimonials before picking out a storage facility. Learning about other clients’ experiences can help you pick out the right place.
- How far are you willing to drive? If you’re not looking for a long commute, pick a facility closer to home.
- How much will it cost to rent a unit? You don’t want to over-extend your budget. Carefully weigh the rental cost against the benefits and find something that’s within your financial means.
- When is the facility open? Many facilities will let you access your individual unit 24/7, but you’ll still want to check.
- What kind of items are you looking to store? You can rent from both indoor and outdoor facilities. Which you use will depend on what you want to store. If you want to store sensitive items, for example, you might want to choose an indoor unit; if you want to store large equipment, consider an outdoor unit.
- What additional services does the facility offer? While not the end-all, be-all of renting a storage unit, additional services can sometimes help you decide between two options.
You’ll want to make a list of prospective storage facilities and then visit them in person. This will let you talk to the owners and get a better feel for their services. You’ll also have a chance to see if the facility is secure and clean.
Additional Things to Keep in Mind
As you explore your self-storage options, keep these tips in mind:
- Rent the right sized unit to save money; take note of what items you want to store and find a unit that suits your needs.
- Consider purchasing insurance to better protect your belongings.
- Pack everything properly to make the most of your space and keep your belongings safe.
Explore Our Storage Options
So what is self-storage? The answer: a way to securely store excess items for your home or business. At Store More Self Storage, we offer some of the best storage units in Hull. We exceed all SSA standards; call us to learn about our secure, climate-controlled self-storage units.